Malcolm Helm Memorial Endowed Scholarship
In 1993, TBA, instrumental music education, and Texas bands suffered a great loss with the passing of Malcolm Helm. Malcolm was a friend and colleague to many. Long after becoming ill, he continued to serve his beloved profession tirelessly with the same uncompromising commitment to service and excellence exhibited throughout an illustrious 23-year career. TBA’s Executive Board established the Malcolm Helm Memorial Endowed Scholarship to be supported by an endowment funded by donations from friends and colleagues.
2020 Malcolm Helm Scholarship Recipient
Megan Green is a senior Music Education major at Baylor University. As a clarinet player, Megan has been actively involved in Baylor ensembles, with a special love for chamber music passion projects. Megan toured with the Blue Stars Drum and Bugle Corps during the 2018 season as a Rehearsal Assistant. She spent the following summer at Blue Lake Fine Arts Camp in Michigan. There, she served as an assistant woodwind teacher, performer, and cabin counselor to four groups of wonderful and excitable middle school girls. She is looking forward to continuing her work with Blue Lake as a Staff Member on the 2021 Summer European Tour. This past year, she was thrilled to work under Dr. David Montgomery as a Rehearsal Assistant for the Central Texas Youth Wind Ensemble.
Megan will be student teaching at Vista Ridge High School in Leander, Texas this coming fall under the guidance of Bryan Christian and Reid Atkinson. She is excited to return (safely, of course) to working with students, making music, and growing as an educator. Megan would like to thank the Texas Bandmasters Association for their support, as well as the long line of Baylor faculty that have helped her grow, learn, and continuously fall in love with music in new ways.
The Malcolm Helm $4000 Scholarship is Awarded Annually To A Texas College Student Who:
- Attended high school in Texas
- Is a wind or percussion instrumentalist who participated in high school band
- Is majoring in Music Education
- Plans to teach band in Texas
- Will complete a minimum of 60 hours toward their degree by the end of this Spring semester
- Maintains a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Scholarship is awarded based on:
- Musical accomplishments and contributions
- Academic accomplishments
- Potential for success in the teaching profession
- Personal qualifications
Help TBA Share This Information with Potential Applicants
Print the Helm Scholarship Information Poster
2020 Application process is closed.
Check here for information concerning 2021.
Once the application process is open, you will need the following information in order to complete your application. You will not be able to submit the application if you are missing any information.
- Your contact information
- Your college name and address
- Your degree title and number of hours completed
- List of scholarships you have received including the amount
- Letter of application which is an essay addressing your intent to apply for the scholarship. Include educational, musical, and extracurricular activities as well as additional information to help determine your potential as a future band director
- Resume to include collegiate education, work experience, honors, awards. and other relevant information
- Name, job title, and email address of 3 references who can speak to your qualifications – The first reference must be your primary university ensemble conductor
- A PDF of your college transcript – To qualify for the scholarship, you must complete 60 hours by the end of this Spring semester and maintain a minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale. Your transcript should include completed hours and show the classes you are currently enrolled in.
The $4000 Malcolm Helm Memorial Scholarship will be awarded during the TBA Convention/Clinic. The recipient will be an outstanding undergraduate wind or percussion player, who is majoring in instrumental music education at a college or university within the state of Texas. Your tax-deductible contribution will go far in helping this worthwhile effort grow as it assists outstanding prospective band directors currently enrolled in college. This contribution is tax deductible.
To make a contribution, complete the form and mail it with your check.
For Any Questions / Comments Contact:
Scholarship Selection Committee Chair
1002 Central Parkway South | San Antonio, TX 78232